April 27th 2006
Ducks, ducks, ducks!
In case that didn't give things away, the FIRST BROOD OF BABY DUCKS has finally been born, as of yesterday. They're absolutely diddy, only about 4cm tall, and are just the most adorable things ever. They haven't quite sussed yet that what I'm throwing at them is food, but they'll learn in time. There's 9 at the moment, hopefully it won't be the situation like last year where there's one less every day.
One of the Woosta gardeners told me that I'm known as 'duck boy' among them all - quite funny to know.

In other news, I'm thinking of going to China. St Ebbes are organising a trip there for 2 weeks over the summer holiday to work with students there teaching them English. It's probably the only opportunity I'll have to do anything like it and I currently have no summer job so it seems too good an opportunity to turn down. But I only heard about it today - will have to do some serious thinking and consider practical details like money (which shouldn't be an issue).
This is not the same thing that my sister did, incase anyone is wondering.

Revision is hard work, but I'm feeling increasingly confident with the material. I had a really great tute where I seemed to do well at the past paper in a particular topic - encouraging because it was a topic I was panicking a bit about before.
I might as well aim for a 1st because it's just within my reach at a push, but I will certainly be content with a good 2.1!

There's really not any other interesting news, except that GREG HAS GOT SPOOKS SERIES 3. We watched the 1st episode in our little fan posse the other day, it definitely didn't disappoint. And on the telly fandom topic, 'Lost' starts again on Tuesday - my life is complete. ;)


          April 26th 2006
Saturday afternoon I went out with my parents for lunch. We went to 'Woodstock' which is just north of Oxford, and home of Blenheim Palace (which we saw but didn't go into). Woodstock is just about as stereotypical an 'English village' as you can get - a toylike police station with the fire station and library right next to it, cobbled streets, lanterns instead of streetlights, the whole works! It was very beautiful, but very expensive, so we ended up eating in the good old Noodle Bar instead - the best place in the world.
As usual my mum bought me up a load of niceties, such as smarties cookies (which Greg hasn't discovered yet), sweets and chocolate, and enough shopping to last me a decade!
Saturday evening I invited some friends over for a board game called Cranium. It didn't help that the game seems to be engineered for English people, so the poor Americans didn't have a clue what a snooker table is, or who Chris Eubank is. The playdough sculpting ones are always the funniest.

Sunday afternoon I went to a friend called Helen's room, for... yes more boardgames! This one was called "Oxford by Degrees", and cringingly involves you having to complete your term card by writing essays (by going to library squares or getting them on a special 'pidgeon post' card), collecting bottles of wine for social occasions and getting sports strips for university sports. You even have to take exams at the end of the year! I was a little offended that 'Worcester College' wasn't a possible college to choose (it was just off the edge of the board geographically) so I had to settle with Jesus college instead, which is full of ruddy Welsh people, pah.
I was playing piano for the evening Ebbes service. For the first time in a very long time we had a drummer which made so much difference - people were commenting after that the music was the best they've ever heard which is somewhat of an encouragement.
After the service I ended up having takeaway pizzas with some friends (mostly Keblites) in my room.

Monday was my first day of really stepping up revision (from 4 hours a day to 6). I've got to the stage where revision doesn't actually bother me anymore - perhaps it's because I've got into such a strict routine, or perhaps it's because some of the stuff is moderately interesting.
I'm slightly worried when my exams are going to be - strangely the exam timetable hasn't been released yet, I only know that they're hopefully going to be no earlier than 7th week.
The great thing about working hard during the day is that you can appreciate your evenings much more. Monday evening I dinner with Chris (the apprentice) around his flat (absolutely delicious, rhubarb crumble for pudding yum) and yesterday evening I spent in the bar with Greg and Dan from my staircase, getting nostalgic about children's TV programmes and playing Connect 4.

I've discovered an evil that is more sick that Hitler, Mussolini and Thatcher put together - his name is Einaudi. His music is the most evil thing ever, his whole album is basically repeating a 4 chord sequence fluffing it up in different ways (one track was 8 minutes, literally repeating exactly the same chords again and again!). I had to endure it for nearly the entire duration of being at Chris's house. All his flatmates seem to like it. I say they have no taste in music ;).

While I'm on the moaning front, I've finally got to the stage where I'm almost completely disillusioned in politics, not just by Labour, but by all parties. I'm fed up of all the Punch and Judy in the houses of parliament (with all the MPs going 'ra ra ra'), news of £3k haircuts, scandals of every sort and news of cuts and inefficient use of money.
At this rate I'm not going to be voting in the next general election at all.

In ducky news, all the female mallards have disappeared, but with good reason. They've all started nesting, and I can see a number of nests on the Provost's side of the lake. Even a Canada Goose has taken over 'Duck Island' and has been sitting there since I've arrived sitting on her nest.
I just can't wait for all the cute little ducklings!

I've written a new hymn. You can find it here.


          April 21st 2006
Woo, update!
Friday evening I went to a friend's birthday, to an Indian restaurant that is legendary because it is notoriously cheap (because paying by cash gives you half price, my chicken korma was like £2.40!). I think I excelled myself with his card, it was an artistic masterpiece that I spent ages drawing (it was a monkey with the message 'you are the missing link').
It was a great, but it was a bit silly after so I didn't hang around long at all after (we were playing cricket in a car park, but people were pushing eachother around in trolleys, mooning the camera, generally being rowdy all while security cameras were all over the place!).

Sunday was Easter day! There was an obvious Easter morning service, and the one in the evening was joint with 2 other churches, so our hall was absolutely packed (about 700 people).
In the afternoon the family went up to visit relatives. Their house was only half complete before (they'd only recently moved in) but it's quite impressive now - with a fish tank in the wall! We went for a walk in Longsuch Park, and after there was 'Shaun of the Dead' on in the background, which is absolutely hilarious!

Monday-Wednesday I didn't get up to much, mostly revision, a bit of gyming and packing. I've managed to make a start on my 3rd year project (a circuit modeller) which is coming on quite well.

As of Thursday, I am back at Oxford! I managed to sleep most of the coach journey - very much needed. I had my laptop on since I needed to type something up, and in a very geeky sort of way it's quite amusing seeing all the different wireless networks available as it drove around London - so if you ever live in London you can probably get free* (* but stolen!) internet access.
Although I appreciated being back home with my family and having the time to unwind a bit, being back at Oxford is nice. I went with my first walk around the lake with Francois and Greg, and had a rather amusing conversation with one of the groundsman who stopped us.
The conversation went something like this:

"Oh, you're the guy that loves the ducks aren't you, I see you feeding them all the time."
"Just so you know, there's 2 ducks that have gone, one flew away and is missing, and the other got some neurological disease which eventually spread to its brain so that it kept falling on its face. What's your name?"
"Well given how much you seem to be associated with care of the ducks, I'll pidge you the vetinary report."
"Oh... thanks" [not sarcastic at the time!]

Thursday evening was FOCUS as usual (not many people were there because of collections [i.e. start-of-term exams, which I don't have!]), it was great to catch up.
Friday evening was our bop. It was supposed to be a 'Dress your friend for a Fiver', but most didn't bother (or maybe it's because I have neither friends nor a fiver). Somehow I ended up having arm-wrestle competitions with a few people in the outdoors seating area (not my idea!) and didn't do very well - oh dear.
My lovely folks come up with all my stuff tomorrow, I'm glad because I've been suffering from 'Piano Withdrawal Syndrome'! (I keep tapping on everything)

One technical point - I've finally fixed my RSS feed, so anyone who wants to subscribe, it's here.


          April 14th 2006
Good Friday

Mark 15:31-34
In the same way the chief priests and the teachers of the law mocked him among themselves. "He saved others," they said, "but he can't save himself! Let this Christ, this King of Israel, come down now from the cross, that we may see and believe." Those crucified with him also heaped insults on him. At the sixth hour darkness came over the whole land until the ninth hour. And at the ninth hour Jesus cried out in a loud voice, "Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?"—which means, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?"

For someone who suffered so intensely and even had his backed turned on by God, you'd wonder why Jesus would go through such an ordeal?
Jesus's death is not just a theological point and a (proven) historical event - it's an act of love that can give us a relationship with God in such a fallen world.
I invite you to find out more, I'm always willing to talk!

More details on today's events coming soon (it's late so I'm not writing it now!)


          April 13th 2006
Sunday evening there was an interesting service - it was basically a Jewish 'passover' service, complete with Jewish songs, unleavened bread, some ancient hebrew, the works! There were points where I had to stop myself breaking into hysterics - they were really cheesy stereotypical Jewish songs that you could imagine doing some funny can-can like dance too. All good fun, and interesting just to see a bit of Jewish heritage. A friend came along, and he really seemed to enjoy it too.

Monday I went with my sister to see a ballet at the Royal Opera House - Romeo and Juliet by Prokofiev to be exact.
Stunning wouldn't do it justice, it was simply the best 'show' I've ever seen; the sets and customes were amazing, the music was expectedly amazing (I had a rough idea of what it would be like because I have the 'abridged' version on CD) and the dancing wasn't the 'pirouetting long tou tou' ballet stereotype you might expect. The last scene was so beautiful I had a tear in my eye!
Although our seats were standing, we were lucky for those in the row in front to be late, so we had their seats for the entire first act. But when they did arrive, the girls in front did my head in, I think they deserved a slap (one of them fell asleep!).
Ballet tickets aren't all as expensive as you might think (the cheapest seats are £7-10 and often have good views), I'd really recommend you all go at some point!

My 'protein powder' that I ordered finally came. It's a gigantic tub about the size of a fat baby, and it actually tastes alright mixed well. It wasn't cheap, but it's the only way I can get the extra protein I need without buying loads of expensive food.
I unfortunately didn't get the IBM internship, but I'm not bothered. It's a 3 month thing so I wouldn't have any time to start on my 3rd year project (which we're supposed to do!), neither would I have any time to go on holiday. By summer is looking particularly free, but I'm sure I'll find plenty of things to fill it. The interview process was quite fun and good experience so I don't regret applying at all.

There was a 'Youth Conference' at my church Monday-Wednesday evening (obviously couldn't go to the first one). It was really inspiring, with the running theme being about 'love' - something which the Bible has a lot to say on!

Oooo, I bought my first ever painting! I was just coming out of a meeting at the Kings Centre, and there happened to be an art exhibition in the lobby. I ended up buying a painting called "Daisy Meadow" of 2 horses in a paddock. My family hates it but atleast I like it! It's currently right in front of me on my wall.
Speaking of my room, my sister is on a current crusade to try and get me kicked out me room. She might have to live home from September when she starts teaching (although thankfully hasn't decided yet) and if she does she feels she's entitled to my room because it's bigger. Her room is tiny though, and there's absolutely NO way I would be able to fit a digital piano, a sound system, weights, a TV, my laptop and whole host of other junk in there. I'm rather attached to my room, and I don't want to part with it.


          April 7th 2006
This has been an incredibly busy week!
Monday, I got a suprise knock on the door from a church staff worker giving me an opera ticket that someone couldn't use anymore. So I went that evening (on my own!) to the Royal Opera House to watch Eugene Onegin by Tchaikovsky. It was absolutely fantastic, even if I did have the worst seat in the entire auditorium (it was the side slips - I was looking virtually vertically down at the singers, and couldn't see anything towards the back of the set).
In the afternoon I had a session with my gym instructor and he gave me a new workout which is much more free weights based - it must be doing much more work because I felt absolutely achey!

Tuesday evening was 'THAT group' - it was just a DVD and pizza social. The movie was pretty good; "Rain Man", about an autistic man with a savont (Dustin Hoffman - a savont is basically a special gift that those with severe learning difficulties have, in his case being able to count 246 matchsticks within seconds, and being able to multiple huge numbers). I'm strongly considering leaving THAT group and joining an older small group. The problem is that the next year (i.e. year 13s soon to start uni/gap year) has just moved up now, which means the group has increased to a ridiculously large size.

Wednesday I went to the cinema with Windy to see 'The Inside Man'. Considering the storyline was hardly revolutionary (a bank heist with a twist!), it was very enjoyable, and I'd definitely recommend it to anyone thinking of seeing it!
Thursday I was working for Trish again, except this time I had to teach the lessons myself! The poor thing is very ill, and although she could have conceivably taught it, she was worried about spreading her illness to other students, so she stayed upstairs.

Today I had my review day at IBM in Winchester. To my surprise, Will (on my course and in my college) was there, so it made the day a bit less daunting.
It went pretty well I thought. We had do another aptitude test to check we hadn't got our mum or somebody to do it before when we applied, and there was a group exercise (my group was 4 people) where we had half an hour to solve a logical problem while the reviewers watched our every move.
After lunch we were divided into 2 groups - my one was the one not sent home! We had a 'programming theory' test after that which was fairly easy, but I found myself running out of time at the end so I'm not 100% sure how well I did.
We have to pass that last test in order to get to the next and last stage - I should hear in a week's time.
Oh I forgot to mention that part of the IBM's headquarters was a Victorian (?) mansion, complete with chandeliers, huge paintings on the walls and a gigantic front garden that would make the Woosta provost envious. The site was absolutely amazing!
Here's a pic.

I need some sleep, but I got to go to Trish's again in a second and there's another THAT group thing tonight, which I might have to give a miss.


          April 2nd 2006
Happy Birthday to me,
Happy Birthday to me,
Happy Birthday to Jamie,
Happy Birthday to me.

Today was lovely actually.
After opening my presents and eating yummy chocolate croissants in the morning (I got 3 DVDs, a tin of Whethers Originals, 3 new t-shirts and a jumper which I chose while shopping last week) I headed off to church where I was playing. As a present Jackie wrote some words to one of the hymns I wrote (the band played it without the congregation at the start of the evening service) - I'll put them on here soon. The service was really encouraging, there was a guest speaker talking on the important of missionary work and supporting/doing it.

In the afternoon we went as a family to a nice pub/restaurant in Epsom Downs, and my aunt/uncle and their friends were with us too (one of them who looks uncannily like Christopher Lee).
We watched the Oxford/Cambridge boat race in the afternoon. Ofcourse we (as in Oxford) won - it was by such a margin that there wasn't really any tension in the second half of the race. I'm slightly worried just how few Brits there are on the teams. In the Filthy Tab team, there were more Germans than Brits!

I can't believe I'm into my 'third decade' (that's 20 for those that can't count). I'm no longer a teenager, and I no longer have a 1 in front of my age. Scary stuff. Soon enough I'll be grumbling about the state of young people nowadays and playing bingo.


          March 30th 2006
I had my trip to Cambridge this weekend. I got there pretty quickly, but I made sure while I was at Kings Cross to spend a bit of time hunting for "Platform 9 3/4". I eventually found it (remarkably it was between platforms 9 and 10) and it was moderately exciting - there was a massive Harry-esque sign and a trolley half coming out the wall (apparently it was put there because kids kept on trying to run into the wall, and obviously didn't get very far through it).
I arrived just in time for lunch on Saturday (my sister fed me very well, sausages with pasta!) before we headed out to Cambridge to look around at some of the colleges. Cambridge is really pretty, but for some reason it just didn't have the edge or life that Oxford has. Some of the colleges were very impressive though - I went round Kings (and saw their chapel, which is the biggest of Oxford and Cambridge), Trinity and St Johns (which has its own Bridge of Sighs, this time over a river rather than a road). The most exciting one for me was Emma, what like Worcester has a duck pond complete with lots of ducks (although this was a pond, while Worcester has a huge lake!)
We bought some fudge from the infamous fudge shop that my Cambridge friends have told me about before.

In the evening I went for dinner round John Perkins house (he was in my CU leader Links group at Oxford), and a number of other Oxford friends were there. It was nice to have a bit of Oxford even if it's only been 2 weeks.

Sunday was really busy. The ruddy clocks had gone forward, so I got an hour's less sleep, and had to get up for church (unfortunately you don't get a lie in like with Ebbes). After I met some of Lauren's friends there and we went to the Cambridge Arms, a pub where they do ridiculously cheap (and still good) meals (£3!). My sister invited them over to play Trivial Pursuit, which I'm not as bad at as I though I might be considering how atrocious my general knowledge is.
There was a bit of a drama that followed. Although I knew previously the clocks had gone forward, I had forgotten to change my watch. So 2 minutes after my booked train ticket was for, I had to run as fast as I could to the station (I was nearly dead by the time I got there) and managed to step on the train seconds before the door closed! (Thank God for train delays)

It was a great weekend and it was lovely spending time with my sister considering how little I see her now. But to all the Cambridge people reading, Oxford is blatantly more cool.

This week has been moderately quiet. I've started going back to the gym again having recovered from my flu-type thing. I worked again for Trish this evening (her accompanist is away) before I had to quickly rush off to a band rehearsal.

Greg came over for dinner on Wednesday. We were going to go to the pub after, but we decided to rent out the new Harry Potter movie - which considering how much I've disliked the previous ones, was actually pretty good. Even Daniel Radcliffe's acting is now atleast 'bearable'.

Otherwise it's been fairly boring revision, which hasn't been that bad to be honest - I'm working on a topic which is the first one of the 2 years I've been at Oxford where I previously haven't had a clue what's going on - but it's starting to fit together now.

[EDITED March 31st]


          March 24th 2006
Alright, I'm updating now, keep your bra on!
The last week has hardly been particularly exciting, but at the same time I've had so much stuff to do I haven't really had a chance to be bored.

Firstly, I'm now to 'stage 4' of my application for an IBM summer internship. Stages 1 and 2 just had to do with 2 different people checking my application form, but stage 3 was quite interesting. I had to do a timed 'aptitude' (i.e. IQ) test online which was actually quite interesting. I just got an email now saying I got a high enough score to be invited for "round 1" of formal interviewing (yes, this application process goes on forever!) The bad news is that it's a 20 minute bus journey from Winchester, and I have to be there by 9:00am! (I live near London to put that into perspective) Gah it's a hard life.
The advantage of this application compared to the one for a finance firm in London last month is that this is now 'home turf'. I actually know what I'm talking about rather than hoping I could blag it like before!

In other news, I've been quite unwell the past few days, for like the first time in 5 years! My throat is quite swollen, I have a headache, and occassionally my legs are in agony, plus occasional extremes of temperature and a general flu-ey feeling. I thought it might be mumps at first, but then my sister reminded me that I'd been vaccinated at Oxford last summer term! I hope I ride it out soon, I haven't been sleeping well at all.
Moan moan moan.

I'm doing the website for my home church. They're taking it quite seriously - we're having regularly formal meetings and such. I had to basically persuade them not to use some 'Church web design' company they had in mind before - "Jamie the salesman" - tee hee! A big feature is that I want to be able to allow the staff there to easily update it themselves, so I'm basically making a content management system from scratch (i.e. being able to add pages, uploading sermons and pictures, etc.).
A lot of work, but the advantage is that I can potentially sell the system to other churches.

A great evil has entered our house.
My parents have cancelled our Times newspaper subscription which is bad enough, but what's even worse is that they've started buying THE DAILY EXPRESS - I kid you not.
The newspaper is just as disgusting as the Daily Mail, and I can't believe how many of the stories are about the same thing. Their favourite theme seems to be a rant against "political correctness gone mad", which although is true in some cases, is hugely distorted and exaggerated.
A story I found interesting was how apparently 'outrageous' it was that a local council has banned the use of 'sonic youth deterrants' in shops and outside homes. They're devices that generate a high-pitched and painful noise that can only be heard by under 20s. Apparently this is a legitimate way of dealing with yob culture.

Other news? Not really. I've mainly been revising, and everyone else has been at university.
I went shopping today with my parents. Got some nice new clothes for my birthday which is next Sunday. I actually found the jumper which was destroyed in the "Great Washing Machine Tragedy", but I've got a different colour version. Groovy.
I'm off to Cambridge for the weekend. See ya!


          March 19th 2006
Dear diary,
Although being home at first seemed quite strange, it only really took a day before the feeling wore off.
Friday I had a massive list of things to do, which I only ended up doing a few of! One of them was filling in my application for another internship, this time with IBM. Not sure how competitive it's going to be, but I might aswell give it a go!
I also met up with Trevor Archer my pastor to discuss being an apprentice at my church just for a year after I finish university. It would mainly involve working for the church and learning a few useful skills to better serve church in general, even though I don't want to go into full time Christian work.
My brother was around during the day, so he made for some light entertainment. He bought me loads of Skittles back from Canada which we munched on - there's 'cream' flavour, wild berry, and tropical, none of which you can find in England. Bliss.

Saturday was a bit more crappy. Everyone was out, so even though I had lots of stuff to do, it was just quite a contrast from Oxford when there's always someone to visit if you want.

Sunday was nice though. Being back at church allowed me to see some faces I haven't seen for ages. I had a great game of 'catch my finger' with Reuben who's Dan and Ruth's son - he won and proceeded to put my finger in his mouth the chew before I stopped him!
Post evening service I went with Windig (Ian) to Krispy Kreme for my first time ever, which purely sells donuts. I admittedly wasn't too impressed by the donuts (although I've never been a huge fan), but it did give us a nice opportunity to chat and catch up.

The new 'Planet Earth' series on BBC is amazing, some of the shots are just staggering. There was a shot zooming across the top of Angel Falls in Venezuala and then zooming out to show the falls in its entirety which made my jaw drop.
I'm slightly suspicious over the 'bright' colours in general, I have a theory they've enhanced them a bit, which would be a little sneaky.


          March 17th 2006
Je suis retourne a la maison.
Term is over, my holiday is back and I'm back in my room at home.

Saturday my parents came to pick up my stuff from my room at Worcester. After they had gone and left me with a bag of smarties cookies (yum) I was basically a homeless person for the day, except that I didn't smell.
Fortunately 2 of my American friends were still staying in Worcester, so I stayed with them for the night.
I spent the afternoon with a friend called Natalia, and had a nice walk to 'Port Meadow' which you get to via a rather beautiful canal. I thought the meadow was somewhat overated, but the rest of the walk was really nice, and we were armed with plenty of bread (and in Natalia's case, organic oat cakes).
I spent much of the evening helping Chris Statter (an Ebbes apprentice) with Ledbury stuff (i.e. where we were going on holiday) and we, along with Greg and the 2 Americans, went to Noodle Bar for dinner. It was a nice relaxed day, but it's quite freaky being in Worcester when there is hardly anyone there and you neither have any room or work!

After filling in for Andy Virr again music-wise at the 2 morning Ebbes services, we were off in a mini-van off to Ledbury, or more specifically 'Dyke House', which is in the rurality of Gloucestershire.
I had a great time! Just being away from a city/town is always nice to unwind for a start, as is having an absense of computers/TV to lounge around wasting time. I learnt a great deal from the sermons/seminars, and had lots of fun too. I was 'music coordinator', so I spent some of the time organising the musicians and rehearsing - it gave me some good experience, especially given I'm taking over as OICCU Music Director.
We seemed to be fed incredibly well, with 3 cooked meals and a seemingly endless supply of cake through the day!
I seemed to be seen as the 'clown'. One day I got loads of bubbles from the sink and dumped them over an apprentice's head, and I started up the 'Jamie Game' where people had to go for as long as possible without me making them laugh. Ben Dyson lasted almost a minute, but he just couldn't stand up to the Power of the Frost. I also represented Computer Science for 'best subject joke of the week'. Despite my subject, I don't think I did too badly!
My socks seemed to be the subject of much humour. Somehow I had managed to forget to bring extra pairs of socks, so was surviving on the pair I was wearing for the entire week. But it wasn't THAT disgusting - I did wash them out and dry them on the radiator every day!

The journey home was quite interesting. I talked to a really nice South African guy on the coach from Oxford to London, who told me all about life in South Africa. He mentioned he's finding it hard to get used to the 'British persona', and I can fully sympathise - British people just keep to themselves far to much. I also found it quite amusing that the ticket guy at Surbiton train station commented on how much he likes my coat, especially since it's always been a running joke with me and Matt Archer!
I'm home now, and although it's good to see my family, it feels rather strange. I've become so attached to Oxford this past term that home feels a bit less like home.

Anyway, here is a basic summary of my past term:

* A very stressful first week, where I couldn't decide on course options because I thought they were all evil! Fortunately the topic I eventually chose turned to be my favourite so far this year.
* I didn't get the summer internship I originally wanted, which means my summer is looking fairly empty except for a holiday round Europe or France unless I find something else.

* I've finally become more organised and am using my time much more constructively. I've been much busier (in a good way) and had lots of cool things going on.
* I feel I've really developed as a Christian. CU repping was a great experience for me.
* I feel I've become a lot closer to Greg, and have spent a lot more time with him. He's also the only person to fully appreciate the subtle nuances of my deep humour. ;)
* Apart from one topic, I've enjoyed the course quite a lot this term, particularly the practicals.
* There's more, but you'll just have to read back in time!

Our washing machine has gone a bit beserk. I've been wondering what the funny smell has been all evening, and it turned out to be our washing machine literally BOILING our clothes. Fortunately I got fairly light off. Luckily I had forgotten to put my washing in other than the jumper and t-shirt I was wearing (and the above mentioned socks), so only lost 2 items of clothing - it could have been much much worse for me! But they're completely destroyed. My favourite blue stripey jumper is now shades of a putrid orange. My infamous socks are also history, may they rest in peace.
I feel sorry for my mum though, she's definitely worst off.

[EDITED March 18th]


          March 10th 2006
This will possibly be my last entry until atleast Wednesday, since I'm off on holiday to Gloucestershire Sunday, and will be kicked out my room Saturday morning (although I suppose I have internet access with the friend I'm staying with Saturday night).

Thursday was supposed to be eventful but it ended up being fairly boring. A friend was supposed to be coming for lunch and duck feeding at Worcester and I would have lunch and chat with Chris Statter at Ebbes, but both were unfortunately cancelled.
I went to a presentation by Google early evening, where they discussed how their technologies worked and generally encouraged us to apply to work for them. I unfortunately couldn't stay for the free buffet, I had to run off for weekly 'Focus', the last one of term. Half my group wasn't there, but it was good nonetheless.

Friday was manic. I had 2 lectures in the morning, then after a tiny bit of packing I headed of to the Oxford Union for a talk, before finally doing the duck feeding I promised to my friend. I was invited to Keble college cafe afterwards where I chatted to a few familiar faces (Keble's cafe is much nicer than Woosta's 'buttery'!)
After packing, dinner and lots of odds and ends I had to sort out, I attended a music workshop thingy at Ebbes. Philip Percival, head of EMU Music Australia (they write/perform hymns and generally act as a support network for worship music) and another guy called Andy were leading it.
It was INCREDIBLY useful, with lots of practical advice on how to structure a band to get optimum texture and such. I've realised that sometimes less in more in certain contexts, and that the key to a successful band is an even balance between musicians with necessity for good drum/bass players - it's a contrast to Ebbes which is currently quite piano centric.
I managed to talk to Philip after about my hymn writing efforts, and he seemed interested and promised to give some feedback.
I went to the Woosta bop after, which not many of my friends seemed to be at - it seemed to be mostly 1st and 3rd years. But Greg and Dan were there, and we had one final Spooks watching session and got through the last episode of Series 2 - talk about a cliff hanger!

Anyway it's 1.30 in the morning and I need to get up early. I'll give a summary of the highs and (very few) lows of this term soon.